Saturday, May 23, 2009

Football, Tailgate and Friends!!!!


Ahhh the great weather of Memorial Day Weekend!!! It is the time of year that we officially usher in Summer. Typically everyone enjoys the weekend with a fabulous cookout with friends and family. We all remember those times as children when the family comes together and everyone has a great time. It was great in itself....but with the idea of being able to watch live sporting was out of the question. If you grew up in the DC area there was not much to do this time of year. Basketball was always over, we didn't have baseball until a few years ago...now our favorite love Football has about 3 months left until the beginning of the season.

I would say about 2 weeks ago I was at a neighborhood festival where various vendors were setup selling a variety of items. One table in particular had women scantily dressed who were the dance team of a team called the Maryland Maniacs of the Indoor Football League (IFL). The owner was present and we spoke for a bit. He is a very nice and young African American man in his 30's and he mentioned that this was his first year as the owner of the team in their inaugural season. He was very excited that his team was on a 4 game winning streak and the possibilities of the playoffs was likely if the team maintained. I told him I would come and check out his team since they play only 5 minutes away from where I live at the ShowPlace Arena in Upper Marlboro MD. 

Last week I attended my first game and I was blown away, firstly by the product of play on the field and secondly by the great work that the ownership puts in providing an awesome fan experience. The game was very fast and explosive as guys where hit with the ferocity as I am accustomed to witnessing as a season ticket holder of the Washington Redskins. I know great hits when I see them (RIP 21). The field is 50 yards and the scores can soar and kickoff returns are an adventure. During the breaks in game the kids are brought on to the field to perform competitions against each other and it is a real hoot watching them have a great time...I mean it is a kids game by the way!

I sat in the corner endzone where the cheerleaders are positioned which happened to be right next to the opposing team. In Indoor Football their is no real sideline and the teams bench's are situated  in the back of the end zones. If a player substitutes he must run to his teammates even if they are 50 yards away on the other side of the field. I love it when they are tired and can barely make it back to the endzone to avoid a penalty. So as I was sitting and enjoying the cheerleaders do a dance and I observed an opposing player just all up and enjoying the view of the cheerleaders in their skimpy outfits dropping it like it was hot and getting all Beyonce' like with their moves. So a buddy of mine and I started began to heckle him as he was clearly enjoying the show on the sidelines and not the beating the Maryland Maniacs was putting on his team. The player eluded to not having cheerleaders on his team as to why his eyes where so fixated on the Maryland Dancers. I guess that is why he is playing Indoor Football.

So the Maryland Maniacs beat the Saginaw Sting 43-10 and there was probably around 1000 people in attendance. I hope as the season continues and more people spread the word than this team can hopefully be around for a second season. The owner seems like a very good guy and I wish him the best. With the play of his team doing well hopefully the fan support can increase.

So this Saturday on Memorial Day weekend I will attend my 2nd game but this time I have brought a lot of friends and we will tailgate at 4pm like we do for Redskins games and use these games with our Maryland Maniacs as the fix we need as this new summer season begins. I can't wait!

With prices ranging from $14 - $24 it is certainly an affordable option in these lean times for those wanting to enjoy Football at a time where we are not accustomed to watching it. Hopefully Memorial Days in our future will always include a visit with our local Indoor Football League team. So come on out and enjoy it with me and bring the kids with you!



2 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun, sorry I couldn't make it, I will for sure next time though, when is the next one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next one is on Saturday the 30th

    ReplyDelete